First Baptist Church
Monday, September 25, 2017
Reaching People For Christ and Walking With Them To Maturity

FBC History

First Baptist Church started as a mission in July of 1957, meeting upstairs over a jewelry store in Mooresville.  Brother Don Endlsey came to Mooresville to preach the gosped of Jesus Christ sponsored by the Pleasant Heights Baptist Church of Indianapolis.
 
There were 10 in attendance the first Sunday.  Brother Kenny Taylor preached the first revival and baptized the first convert, Artis Terry.  On November 10, 1957 the church was organized into a self-governing body of believers. A name was chosen, the First Baptist Church of Mooresville.  Charter members were: Don and Mary Endsley, Willie and Laura Cooper, Pat Cooper, Artis Terry, Irene Newcomb, Ada Vanoy, Pauline Fights, Virgil Perry, and Garland Hunt.   The charter was left open for a year and John and Mary Peterson, Marvin and Mary Wells, Marvin, Jr., Jimmy and Danny Wells, George and Millie Adams, Shirley and Betty Jean Johnson were added to the charter membership.
 
With this group, the church voted to buy the old Calvary Methodist building on West Washington Street for $10,000. We moved into this building in June 1958 with a record attendance of 40. A bus was purchased and 6 new Sunday School rooms were added to the old building. Some of the evangelists in those early years were: Kenny Taylor, Red Turner, Roy Burgner, Mike Fitzsimmons, Lloyd Mahannes, Eddie Lominleno, W. L. Showers and Esau Huff.
 
Three acres of land were purchased on North Indiana Street in 1961 and plans were made for building a new church. Construction was started in October 1961 and we moved into the new building in May 1962. A new Sunday School unit was added in 1965 and the auditorium was remodeled and enlarged in 1971.
 
 
 
In the 1980's, First Baptist recognized the need in Mooresville for affordable and Christian-based preschool care. After several months of prayer and planning, the FBC Daycare Ministry was birthed. For over 30 years, loving and caring ladies from the church have ministered to children and families throughout the Mooresville community. It is an on-going labor of love and service.
 
As the congregation continued to grow, the need for expanding the facilities became pressing. In 1996, a new 10,000 square foot addition was built. New worship, office, and classroom space was created providing room for future growth. In 1997, the church celebrated their first worship service in the new facility.
 
Five other churches in the local area have been started directly from this church. They are: Five Points, Gasburg, Highland Creek, Cloverdale and Bridgeport. In 2010, the church began implementing an intentional church-planting strategy, partnering with our state convention and local association to plant congregations in Carmel, Camby and downtown Indianapolis.